12 packing tips...
1. Pack in two basic colors. I favor black and gray and I include one white wash and wear shirt to brighten things up.
2. I bring the clothes that I am most comfortable in. (1) a skirt, (2) a pair of pants, (3) a nice pair of jeans (4) tights (5) add appropriate tops (one a bit dressier if you feel you are going to need it for evenings out).
3. Go to the Dollar Store and pick up two plastic rain ponchos that fold down to nothing. Keep them in your purse along with a small lightweight umbrella, just in case.
4. Include three scarves that can accessorize any of your outfits but are also designed to keep you warm if the weather warrants it. Make one a bit sparkly for when you need a wardrobe pick me up.
5. Take along inexpensive jewelry. Never take anything you are afraid to lose. Both scarves, baubles and bangles will help you be a creative and stylish traveler. Besides, you can probably pick up some 'fun' necklaces or earrings as you travel.
6. Never take any one thing that can only be worn one way. That's a perfect waste of space.
7. Add a light weight pair of silk long johns to wear under anything if you need an extra layer to keep you warm.
8. Pack drip dry underwear that dries overnight. I buy both my long johns and my underwear online at kimallansilk.com.
9. I wear my heaviest pair of shoes/boots (usually a walking shoe) on the plane and I pack one other pair that suits everything in my travel wardrobe.
10. I wear on to the plane my heavy sweater or sweatshirt that takes up a lot of room in a suitcase. It acts as my blanket or pillow during the flight.
11. Hotel rooms are usually highly air conditioned so I pack a long-sleeved heavy cotton nightgown that doubles as my bathrobe.
12. Once you get these essentials into your bag you can gauge how much extra room you have and then fill in with the other things you need or want.