Last updated on November 3rd, 2022
Featured image: Help shape the future of solo female travel! | Photo by Olezzo on Envato
Share your thoughts on the future of women’s solo travel
As an organization that has served and advocated for female solo travel for almost 30 years, JourneyWoman is focused on the future and how we can help you travel safely and well and live the life of your dreams.
We’re grateful to the 1,000+ women who completed our 2022 Women’s Solo Travel Survey, which is called ‘Embracing the Unknown: The Future of Women’s Solo Travel‘, as a follow-up to a survey we did in 2020, which emphasized the influential role of women in travel (Read: “Why Women Will Save Travel.”) At the time, we asked: “How do we actively participate in rebuilding and reshaping the industry, knowing that our participation and contribution is and will continue to be significant?” That question still holds true today.
We believe in the power of women’s voices, so hearing your perspective on the future and your needs is important. More than anything, we want to ensure that we, as mature solo travellers, are well represented in the travel industry and that our editorial content is inspiring and practical, staying true to our vision of helping women travel safely and well.
The survey is intended to achieve two goals:
1) Help us develop inspiring and practical editorial content that helps you prepare for solo travel; and
2) Ensure the voices of solo women travellers, particularly women over 50, are heard on issues pertaining to ageism, safety, accessibility and the rising cost of travel. There. are also questions about dream destinations, travel preferences, spending and group travel.
- 87% are 55+
- 53% USA/32% Canada /4% Australia /2% UK / Remainder rest of world
- 63% get their information about solo travel from websites or blogs
- Most (65%) are single, widowed or divorced (22% are married)
- 90% are caucasion / 3% Asian / 2% Black / 1.8% mixed race/biracial / remainder prefer not to answer
- 44% travel solo, 31% travel with a partner, and 19% travel solo in a group
- Most women plan trips 4-6 months in advance
- 47% are planning week-long stays / 29% prefer two-week stays and 12% plan monthly stays
- 58% are planning 2-3 trips a year
- Europe/UK/Scandinavia/ Eastern Europe is the top destination /region for 2023
We’ll be sharing more in upcoming editorial and other announcements. Stay tuned!
Announcing our prize winners!
Thank you to our partners for offering some incredible prizes!
Winners for each prize are noted below. Please keep an eye out for an email with further details.
- Las Cascadas, the “Waterfall Hotel” is offering a 5-night stay at the lodge which encompasses 100+ forested acres on the western edge of The Nombre de Dios National Park in Honduras. The site is surrounded by a tropical paradise.
- Congratulations to Nicole S!
- European Experiences: CEO Kathy Wood is offering 50% off a week at her 1300-square foot, three bedroom/two bathroom, newly-renovated apartment in the center of Bonnieux, one of the most delightful and authentic villages in the Luberon area of Provence, France. Terms apply.
- Congratulations to Regina P!
- Toronto’s Chelsea Hotel: Win a one-night stay (in a newly renovated room) including hotel underground self-parking and breakfast. As Canada’s largest hotel with 1,590 guest rooms, the Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, is centrally located and just steps from the city’s best shopping districts, world-class theatres, vibrant nightlife and exciting attractions. Valid until December 30, 2023. Book your own stay here.
- Congratulations to Peggy L!
- Girls’ Guide to the World: CEO Doni Belau is offering her Paris flat for a long weekend in Paris: 3 nights on the Ile St Louis. Some conditions apply.
- Congratulations to Gayla!
- JourneyWoman Share the Love Package: Two lucky winners will receive our very special Travel the World notebook, recycled pen, and a set of recycled JourneyWoman luggage tags.
- Congratulations to Sybil H and Nancy W.!
- Art of Intuitive Photography: Founder Mindy Veissid is offering a free online photography course “Become a better photographer: Trust your intuition.”
- Congratulations to Ronnie E!
Over the past two years, we’ve done a series of surveys looking at everything from solo safety to once-in-a-lifetime experiences. We’re grateful to our lead sponsor, Trafalgar Tours, for supporting this survey and joining with us as advocate for positive change, and to WeTravel, which wants to help create safer experiences for solo women.
Trafalgar is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year, and since day one has been guided by our love of travel. With 303 trips across 72 countries, we invite guests to unlock the best of every destination with hand-crafted guided tours that combine must-see highlights, worry-free travel, and real local connections. Learn more here.
WeTravel empowers small businesses to grow through technology. Founded in 2016 by three travelers who met at U.C. Berkeley—now with nearly 75 employees based in five continents, but headquartered in Europe and The United States—WeTravel is a vertical SaaS built exclusively for the multi-day travel market, used by more than 3,000 travel businesses of all sizes to provide an all-in-one platform to enhance business operations. WeTravel’s platform of SaaS and FinTech solutions empowers travel businesses to lead the best-possible customer journey through customizable booking pages, global payment collection and vendor transfers/payments.
Protecting your privacy
In this survey, there are just over 30 questions, but most are multiple choice. Questions marked with an asterisk (*) are required. Individual responses and emails are confidential. Your name and email will not be shared with anyone. Your email is used only to notify prize winners.
If you have questions about how the information in this survey will be used, please email JourneyWoman CEO Carolyn Ray at email@example.com.
Previous reader surveys
We’ve been doing surveys using your input over the past two years and sharing the results with you in our editorial and webinars. Some of the most recent ones include:
- Why Women Will Save Travel: Global Study Shows How Industry Can Rebuild Trust Post-Pandemic (August 2020)
- Survey Says Women’s Solo Safety is Still An Issue (April 2021)
- The Top Seven Once-in-a-Lifetime Travel Experiences Every Woman Should Have (July 2021)
- 7 Ways to Save Money on Travel from Budget-Savvy Women (September 2021)
What’s New at JourneyWoman
Solo travel Boomer and GenX statistics and studies from JourneyWoman, the original solo travel publication for women over 50.
Featured image: Find connection with other travelers on a group tour | Photo by Envato More than anything, women seek intimacy and shared connection By Carolyn Ray, Editor, JourneyWoman As the publisher of the world’s largest Women's Travel Directory, JourneyWoman...
Our women’s wellness retreat invited women to reconnect in nature and give themselves much-needed time and space to heal, dream and grow.