Last updated on October 29th, 2021
JourneyWoman in the NewsThe Original Solo Travel Resource for Women
JourneyWoman provides media with an objective, honest perspective on women’s travel trends, tips and advice
As the original solo travel resource founded in 1994, we are respected and trusted by journalists around the world.
Our global community is made up of mature, active, adventurous women – the world’s most influential travellers
Most are Gen X and Baby Boomers:
- Independent, curious and courageous
- Women aged 55+ – many were the ”original’ solo travellers
- Women from over 120 countries
- Prefer to travel and live solo
- Enjoy history, art, adventure and active travel experiences
- Most have been part of the JourneyWoman community for over 10 years
We look at travel from a woman’s perspective:
- Trends in Travel
- Travel Safety
- Travel Readiness
- First-time Solo Travel Tips
- Packing Tips
- Fear and anxiety related to travel
- Marketing to mature women
- Prefer new destinations over tried and true
- Enjoy Slow Travel, Luxury, Adventure and Wellness
- Prefer small boutique hotels, homestays and friends and family
- Most spend between $3-5,000 per week on travel and take multiple trips a year
“As a woman who is passionate about exploring the globe, storytelling and empowering women, my ambition knows no limits for JourneyWoman. I am eager to expand JourneyWoman’s influence and inspire more women of all ages to travel as a means of self-discovery and learning.”
– Carolyn Ray, CEO, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, JourneyWoman
JourneyWoman and Womentravel.info join forces to provide women with the world’s largest resource for verified women-friendly tours, retreats, accommodations and guides.
JourneyWoman CEO Carolyn Ray reflects on the past two years, lessons learned and shares her vision for women’s travel in the future.
Resources for women to learn about and support Indigenous tourism, history and culture, with tips on land acknowledgements, museums, books, documentaries and more.
About Carolyn Ray
An experienced traveller and writer, Carolyn grew up in Florida and has lived and travelled in more than 40 countries. In 2019, she was invited by Evelyn Hannon’s family to continue founder Evelyn Hannon’s legacy of JourneyWoman. Based in Toronto, Canada, Carolyn is on the board of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW) and a member of the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC).
Evelyn’s daughter, Erica Ehm, Founder and CEO of Ehm&Co says. “Not only does Carolyn share many of our mother’s values, we believe her passion for travel and her strategic mindset will enhance JourneyWoman’s brand as a trusted source for women. We can’t imagine anyone better suited to extend our mother’s legacy.”
- Why Women Will Save Travel : Global Study Shows How Industry Can Rebuild Trust Post-Pandemic (August 2020)
- Travel, Her Way: What Women’s Travel Looks Like Post-Pandemic (September 2020)
- Finding Freedom: Downsizing for Travel (January 2021)
- Planning a Life of Full-Time Travel (April 2021)
- Survey Says Women’s Safety is Still an Issue, Even Without Travel (May 2021)
Previously, Carolyn was the CEO of Interbrand Canada, the world’s largest brand consulting firm, which published the “Canada 150: Iconic Canadian Brands Report”. Named one of Canada’s top female entrepreneurs on the 2013 PROFIT/ Chatelaine W100 list, she is a Co-Active Coach and supports women entrepreneurs through mentoring, and as a SheEO Activator. She has served on several boards, and is Director on the Board of Myseum of Toronto, a non-profit dedicated to preserving Toronto’s history.
TravelReady: Travel With Confidence
TravelReady is our commitment to elevate women’s confidence in travel. Through our editorial and virtual events, we create opportunities for positive, practical conversations, based on 28 years of experience leading the dialogue on female solo travel.
TravelReady Thought Leadership Reports + Surveys
We regularly survey our global magazine subscribers to align with their needs and produce relevant editorial.
We work closely with women-owned businesses and related organizations that align with our mission to help women travel safely and well.